New Years Resolutions. I like them! It seems the older I get, the more and more people talk shizz on them. “Why bother?” “It’ll never last.” Wah. Luckily, I’m 31 going on 13 and still believe I can change things about myself. (Also, I was just dangerously close to referencing that Jennifer Garner movie…) (Also, I just admitted I know that Jennifer Garner movie…)
Anyways! Last year I made a resolution that seemed simple enough: Take one Instagram photo a day for the year. I had attempted the “365 Project” on three previous occasions with my DSLR, all of which proved too intense. But anyone can manage this with a cell phone, right? Right. Even if it meant taking a photo of a bar tab because it was 11:50pm and I needed to make quota. Let’s forget that photo, shall we?
So yes, this project was sometimes a pain in the ass. But I prevailed! And overall, what a lovely keepsake of the year 2013. When living in Brooklyn, my friends and I would joke how glad we were for taking photos of everything because we’d otherwise remember nothing. Truth be told, I think that dealt more with our Coors Heavy man-can intake, but I digress. In a similar fashion, I greatly enjoy looking back, and truly remembering at least one moment of the day from the entire year. So without further ado, my Top Ten moments of 2013, captured via Instagram:
10. Valentines Day at White Castle. This was my favorite February 14th of all time. I don’t even like Valentine’s Day. Or White Castle for that matter. But real talk– this experience was amazing. Just do it.
9. Seeing both David Byrne and R. Kelly in concert. Hearing Naive Melody live was very special to me. Hearing Sex Weed live, even more so. (Ravinia and Pitchfork, respectively.)
8. The Radical Sabbatical. Oh man, things straight sucked when CakeStyle closed. I missed working, I missed my co-worker friends, and I really missed paychecks. The bums will always lose. After spending some time feeling sorry for myself, I took an excellent suggestion from a friend and turned this into my “radical sabbatical”. I exercised, made things, explored my city, and took my time finding a job I really wanted. (And lezbehonest, did a lot of day drinking. Hey, it was summer!) And now here I am, looking at yarn all day and preparing for the world’s largest craft show. Score!
7. Bulls season tickets. Both the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons. Which means between Rose’s two injuries, I got to see him play live a whopping TWICE! Good thing I’m a Noah lady.
6. I turned 31. Who says 30 has the be the last good birthday? We watched the Bulls game at one of my favorite bars (Aberdeen Tap), then danced and played Jenga at one of my favorite frat houses (Mahoney’s Bar & Grill). When you “Irish Goodbye” your own party at 11pm, yes, it was a good time.
5. Made a prize winning Halloween costume. One hundred smackers! Mekka lekka hi mekka himey ho, bitchez!
4. Nicholas Miller Festa was born! Not only was I thrilled for [my new family] John and Beth, but his impending arrival re-inspired my crocheting. Let me tell you, this little Bears fan is f*cking CUTE.
3. The Hawks brought the Stanley Cup home. And then I touched it. TWICE. Yes, I did a bit of cup stalking. But if you’ve ever seen an object glow so hard it left you short of breath, you’d understand the desire.
2. Visiting Brussels, Kortrijk & Amsterdam. Way too much fun to even try to sum up. Met amazing people, saw amazing sites, drank amazing Belgian beers, smoked amazing Amsterdam… cigarettes.
1. I got engaged to my favorite person. He asked, I said yes, we ate breakfast at Bite cafe. <3
Bonus Round!: Taking 28 Instagrams of Arlo. Not really a moment. But I love this damn cat, and this is technically his blog too. Plus he’s just too good looking not to be featured.
So there you have it, folks. Stay tuned in the new year. Until then, thanks 2013! You were swell.